A CRB clearance certificate is one of the requirements of Chapter six of the Kenyan constitution. The other requirements are:
- A tax compliance certificate from KRA (Kenya Revenue Authority)
- A clearance certificate from HELB (Higher Education Loans Board)
- A clearance certificate from EACC (Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission)
- A certificate of good conduct from DCI (Directorate of Criminal Investigations).
You need all the five clearance certificates to get a job in government agencies and NGOs (non-governmental organizations) like the UN (United Nations). Getting a CRB will cost you around Ksh 2,000.
However, before you can get a CRB certificate, you must have a positive standing score from one or more financial institutions. If you borrowed money and did not pay, be prepared because your certificate and credit report will display a negative score.
Don’t be discouraged; you can clear your negative scores from the financial institutions you borrowed money from and apply for the CRB certificate after 24 hours. This article will show you how to apply for a CRB certificate correctly.
How to Apply for CRB Clearance
To clear with CRB, first clear all your debts borrowed from financial institutions. Unpaid debts might not seem like an obstacle at first, but later in life, they become a stumbling block when looking for high-paying jobs, contracts, or a loan to boost your business.
The only shortcut to clear with the CRB is to use the long cut and clear with the financial institutions that have listed you. Request for a credit report if you want to know who has listed you in CRB
CRB Clearance Certificate Fee
The CRB clearance fee is usually around Ksh 2,200. Suppose you don’t have this amount. It’s very hard to be cleared. However, you can get your credit report at Ksh 150.
Kenya CRB clearance certificate- How to Apply Online
Before applying for a CRB certificate, make sure you have the following
- Your scanned Kenyan Identity card (ID)
- Personal details (names, phone numbers, emails, physical addresses etc.)
- Enough money on your M-PESA account.
Two major institutions process the CRB certificate. They are
CRB Clearance from Creditinfo Credit Reference Bureau Kenya Limited
- Visit their official website.
- One thing I love about this institution is that it offers a free service to first-time clients. Follow the following steps to get your first free service. Note that it’s only once a year. The second time you’ll have to cough up Ksh 2,200.
- Go for the first choice of the personal clearance certificate application.
- Enter your full name
- Your ID number
- Your cell phone number
- Your email address (twice)
- A photo of your national ID (Kenya)
- State your purpose for application
- Confirm you’re not a robot.
- You will receive a text message to the phone number you provided.
- Check your email address after 5 minutes for the CRB certificate.
Clearance Certificate Metropol Credit Reference Bureau Limited
- Navigate to the Metropol official website.
- Proceed to the crystobol section and click to get the credit report for the clearance certificate.
- On this section, dial *433#
- Enter choice 4 (CRB Certificate)
- Enter your ID number and reconfirm it
- Enter agent number (if you were referred)
- Pay Ksh 100 for registration.
- After payment, log in using your mobile number and the reference number sent to your phone. Pay Ksh 2,200 for the clearance certificate.
- You can download the certificate after you have successfully paid.
What is the need of CRB clearance Cerfificate?
CRB clearance is a certification that CRB provides to consumers as a credit health report.
What companies offer CRB clearance?
Metrocom and Credit Info let you eassily generate and download CRB clearance certificate.
What should an applicant ensure before applying for CRB Clearance?
Make sure you have cleared-off any pending loan from any financial institution. This will ensure that your score is good and you get the clearance.
To avoid the long hustle of running up and down looking for a CRB clearance certificate, always pay your loans on time to avoid a negative listing by a financial institution. Tell us your experience with the CRB clearing process or any questions in the comment section.