Engineers Board of Kenya (EBK) is mandated to register, regulate and set engineering standards for engineers and engineering firms. If you are a student undertaking an engineering course, you will have to get a license from EBK.
So how do you go about getting an engineering license? Easy peasy. The article will clearly illustrate to you how to register, check registered candidates and other common engineering questions. Let’s get started.
On the EBK website, you’ll have two options to register
- Graduate engineer
- Professional engineer
Let’s take a look and find out everything you need to know to become a graduate engineer as well as a professional engineer.
EBK Graduate Engineer Registration
Before you begin your application, make sure you have the following items:
- Two coloured passport photos
- Original degree certificate
- Level certificate
- National ID/Passport
Note that all the documents should be certified by a commissioner of oaths and stamped.
For graduates from foreign universities have the following documents
- Certified copies of transcripts
- Contact details of the university
- Contact person from the foreign university
Once you have all the necessary documents, proceed with the process below
- First and foremost, you’ll have to download the registration form here
- Fill in your full names, date of birth and gender
- Next, state any disability and specify
- Enter your nationality, postal address, email address, and contacts
- State your academic qualifications and discipline
- Include your employer and address if you have been employed.
- On the education section, enter the university you studied, location, date of entry and graduation, and degree received
- Make the required payment of Ksh 4,000
- Sign the application form
- Drop your application form at the EBK customer information desk
EBK Professional Engineer Registration
Registering to be a professional engineer at EBK is quite demanding because you’ll have to meet the following qualifications.
- A graduate engineer registered with EBK
- Minimum of three years of working experience from the time you applied as a graduate engineer.
- Have at least been supervised by a professional engineer while working.
Once you have the three qualifications, follow the process below:
- Download the application form.
- Fill in your personal details.
- State your education and any special qualifications
- Fill in your membership from engineering institutions
- Fill in your working experience (it must be over three years)
- Append the names of three engineers as references
- Pay an application fee of Ksh 10,000 at EBK’s bank account
- Sign the application form
- Drop your application form accompanied by the bank slip at the EBK customer information desk
- The board will review your documents thoroughly.
- The board will also contact two of your referees. If they get at least two responses from your list of referees, the application will be forwarded to the EBK chairman for technical evaluation.
- After the technical evaluation, the recommendations will be presented to the board for approval.
- You will be notified through writing when you’ll sit for the professional interview (the interview should be within one year from the date of notification)
- After you sit for the interview, a recommendation will be presented to the board for ratification.
- You will be notified of your recommendation status; after that, you will be issued a certificate of registration from EBK.
Make sure you attach the following documents to your application:
- A certified degree and academic certificates
- Certified copy of your national ID/Passport
- Graduate engineer certificate from EBK
- IEK membership certificate
- A detailed resume certified by one referee from the list.
- Two coloured passport photos
The procedure to be certified as a professional engineer is a tough nut to crack but worth it in the end.
Here is a list of all the professional engineers at EBK
EBK Portal Login
To sign in to the portal at EBK has three options.
- Staff sign in
- Career sign-in (for those looking for employment)
- Graduate Engineers Internship Programme (GEIPMIS) sign in
EBK Engineers ID Application
It’s a requirement for the EBK board to issue engineers with ID cards according to the engineers’ rules of 2019. The IDs make it easy for engineers to identify themselves.
Note: currently, only professional and consulting engineers can apply for the ID card. Graduate engineers are not eligible at the moment
To apply for an ID from EBK, follow the procedure below:
- Proceed to the portal
- Fill in your names and contacts
- Enter your registration number and select your category (consulting or professional engineer)
- Upload your passport photo (follow the passport photo guidelines carefully)
Make Your ID card payments as follows:
- You should pay Ksh 2,000
- Pay bill number 839300
- Account number is your registration number ID number (e.g. ABCD_10203040)
EBK Graduate Engineers List
Here is the comprehensive list of all registered graduate engineers. The total number is 22,841 entries.
EBK Application Fee Payment
You can make your application through the bank or M-Pesa.
National Bank of Kenya
Engineers Board of Kenya
Consulting Firm processing fee
Temporary Professional Engineers
- Select Pay Bill.
- Enter (EBK) business number 839300.
- Enter your EBK Registration Number as the account number e.g.
- Enter the amount
- Enter your M-Pesa PIN.
- Press SEND.
EBK Official Contacts
If you have any questions concerning the application process or any queries, please reach out to EBK through the following addresses in line with your queries:
Email address/ contact
EBK Official Email Address
CPD (Continuous Professional Development)
Graduate Engineers Internship Program
IEK (Institution of Engineers of Kenya) is a professional engineering society that develops and applies engineering to benefit humanity in cooperation with national and international institutions.
To apply as a member of IEK, you will have to go through the various categories and see where you perfectly fit. But first, be ready with the following documents:
- A signed and dully filled registration form (for fellow applications, the form should be signed by two paid fellow seconders and proposers)
- A certified ID copy
- Two passport-size photos (current)
- A certified EBK professional certificate
- A certified EBK practising license (must be the latest)
- At least seven years of corporate membership
- Five years of work experience as a senior engineer
- You should be active in IEK activities
- Pay application fees according to the position applied for.
- Fill in the application form online or download it here
- Wait for response
The institution has over 9,000 members currently.
The application fees for membership are:
Graduate Engineering Technologist
Graduate Engineering Technician
The annual subscription fees are:
The other fees are:
As a member of IEK, always pay your annual fees at the beginning of the year through M-PESA. Follow the procedure below.
- M-Pesa Pay bill: 976295
- Account number: Your membership number or your name
IEK member benefits
- It boosts your salary and career prospects.
- It grows your network in the engineering professional
- You become eligible for significant appointments to renowned boards such as KENHA, KURA and KERRA
This post was last modified on July 20, 2022 5:19 pm