MCA salary in Kenya was set to be increased by Ksh 10,000 in the 203/2024 financial year which ends in June 2024. In 2023, members of the County Assembly (MCAs) went up in arms for a pay rise.
The SRC (Salaries and Remuneration Commission) reviewed their proposal and revealed they would increase their salaries by Ksh 10,000. The SRC said the salary increment would take effect in the 2023/2024 financial year.
Additionally, SRC promised another pay rise of Ksh 10,000 for the 2024/2025 financial year.
MCA salary in Kenya
Before MCAs went up in arms for a pay rise, they used to earn Ksh 144,375 a month plus Ksh 62,400 as a sitting allowance.
SRC increased their salaries from Ksh 144,375 to Ksh 154,481 in the 2023/2024 financial year. The sitting allowance remained the same at Ksh 62,400.
In the 2024/2025 financial year, SRC is set to review the salaries and add another Ksh 10,000 bringing the total amount to Ksh 164,588 without the sitting allowance.
SRC reviews the salaries and benefits of state officers annually under Article 230 (4) of the Kenyan constitution.
MCAs have always been vocal on sitting allowance increments which the SRC threatens to scrap.
Apart from their salaries, MCAs also demand the following:
- 2 million car grant
- Medical benefits
- Transport benefits
- Mortgage benefits
- Ward development fund (To be given 40% of the county budget)
- County affirmative action fund (For all the nominated MCAs)
- Revoking of the 30% car tax from KRA (Kenya Revenue Authority)
MCA salary in Kenya seems to be going up faster than the rest of state officers.
Benefits & Allowances
If you thought MCA salary in Kenya was more than enough, you’re wrong. MCAs enjoy a wide range of benefits for themselves and their families.
Some of the benefits include:
- Committee sitting allowance at Ksh 3,900 per sitting for regular MCAs and Ksh 6,500 per sitting for the chairperson
- Official transport – car reimbursement of Ksh 2,212,000 to purchase a motor vehicle for official duties. The vehicle should not exceed 1800cc. The amount is payable once in a term (5 years). MCAs will incur additional costs if they want to purchase a vehicle exceeding the reimbursed amount.
- Car maintenance allowance of Ksh 30,167 per month.
- Mileage award of Ksh 77.35 per kilometer. The mileage claim is only valid within the ward and on official duties. Holidays and travel to the city on vacations don’t count.
- Special assembly members allowance as follows:
|Deputy chief whip
|Deputy majority leader
|Deputy minority leader
|Member of speaker`s panel
- Medical benefits that cover four children under the age of 25 years and one spouse. Some of the benefits include the following:
- Retirement benefits are paid at 31% of the total pensionable emoluments annually.
- Group life insurance
- Group personal accident
- Car loan at Ksh 2 million (MCAs enjoy a mere interest of 3% per annum to service their loans)
- House mortgage at Ksh 3 million (MCAs may access loans up to Ksh 5 million)
- Airtime allowances of Ksh 5,000 per month
- Security will be provided by the inspector General (IG) of police. Please note that the security package can be converted to cash.
There are some abolished benefits such as:
- Transport facilitation allowance
- Plenary session sitting allowance
MCA salary in Kenya is quite favorable because they earn more than the average CEO (Chief Executive Officer) in Kenya. Their benefits are also high to enable them to perform their duties effectively.
The SRC reviews their salaries annually and increases their benefits and salaries every financial year.
In the 2024/2025 financial year, MCAs are going to pocket over Ksh 160,000. By the time their 5-year term ends. Their salaries and allowances will be hitting over Ksh 200,000.