With just your smartphone and internet connection, you can generate a steady stream on income. I am sure you have watched hundreds on videos on social media on this topic. Trust me, It is easier said than done.
To be successful at online side hustles in Kenya, you should be aware of available opportunities. Then, you must prepare a plan and work accordingly.
In this article, i have tried to cover everything specifically for Online Side hustles in Kenya. After reading this article you will get know various online side hustle opportunities and how to get started. his article is all about the world of online side jobs in Kenya. In this article we are discussing different options that are available and explain how people can use them to succeed in the ever-changing digital world.
Exploring Online Side Hustle Jobs in Kenya
Most people believe in the traditional job system. They prefer government jobs for security and financial growth. However, everybody can’t secure that type of job. So, a large population in Kenya works in the private sector. Many complain private jobs don’t pay well and rightly so.
That’s why, anybody who wants to generate extra income should try for a side job. Online side hustles are a great way to explore earning opportunties just with your smartphone. If you have a laptop, that’s even better.
Importance of Online Side Hustles
In today’s digital world, it is crucial to take advantage of the opportunities available online for extra income. Technology has opened doors for online income opportunities. Anyone can turn their side hustle into a successful business with the right strategies and effort.
One of the key advantages in online side jobs is the low barrier to entry. You need very less money to start. All you need to get started is a laptop (even smartphone works just fine) and an internet connection, whether you’re selling products on an e-commerce platform, offering freelance services, or monetizing a blog or YouTube channel.
Side hustles are a great way to earn extra money without giving up on your current job or other responsibilities. Online side hustles offer convenient work options, allowing individuals to work anytime and anywhere. This grants them the autonomy to manage their own time and be their own boss.
Online side hustles hold immense importance in today’s world. Easy access, global market, and flexibility attract people to earn extra income or turn their side hustle into a full-time business. With the right mindset, determination, and utilization of the available digital platforms, anyone can unlock the potential for success in the online world.
Online Side Hustles for Extra Income
Kenya, like many other nations, has seen an increase in online side hustle jobs, giving people the opportunity to make extra money. Because of their flexibility and low entry hurdles, these digital career options have grown in popularity. In this section, we will look at some of the most popular online side hustle jobs in Kenya.
Kenya has seen the growth of various prominent online side hustle professions. Individuals can earn extra money in a variety of ways, including freelance writing, virtual support, and affiliate marketing (More details on this in the section below). These online side hustles can give financial stability and flexibility for Kenyans with the right talents and devotion.
Kenya’s most popular internet side hustle is freelance writing. Writers with great English skills can operate as freelancers for international clientele. It’s enticing since people can work from home and set their own hours.
Virtual support is a popular online job in Kenya. As companies outsource administrative tasks, remote experts can help. Email handling, appointment scheduling, and data entry are among the tasks virtual assistants perform. This job is perfect for individuals who are flexible, possess excellent organizational abilities, and have strong communication skills.
Affiliate marketing is also a popular internet side employment in Kenya. Marketing products and services and collecting commissions on referrals can produce passive income. To make money, people must communicate with their target audience online.
Let’s discuss all the online job opportunities in Kenya. You may try any of them as your side hustle and if it goes well, you may expand it and turn it into a full fledge job..
Top 8 Online Side Hustles in Kenya in 2023
#1 Freelancing platforms and opportunities
Freelancing could be a great side hustle in Kenya or elsewhere. Those with technical knowledge can start offering their services online. There are multiple great platforms that connect freelancers and clients. They take their commission for every transaction that takes place.
Pupwork, Freelancer, and Fiverr freelancing platforms have revolutionized online side hustles. These platforms connect freelancers with global clients, offering a variety of jobs.
✅ Upwork, a popular freelancing platform, lets freelancers create profiles, exhibit their abilities, and bid on client tasks. It has writing, graphic design, programming, and marketing jobs. Freelancers can gain credibility by completing jobs and receiving positive client feedback.
✅ Freelancer, like Upwork, lets freelancers bid on assignments. Freelancers can list their expertise in numerous work areas. Freelancer’s UI makes managing work and communicating with clients easier.
✅ However, Fiverr concentrates on micro-jobs or gigs. Freelancers can create profiles and charge atleast $5. Graphic design, writing, and digital marketing are popular on this site. Fiverr lets freelancers post portfolios and obtain client feedback.
To get started with freelancing, you need to register on any popular platform. Then create your profile and list the skills that you have. Then depending on the platform, you will have the option to either start applying for the jobs clients have listed or you need to create Gigs which can be choosen by the clients.
If you can, try working on any of these given fields as they are popular within the freelancing platforms:
- Content Writing
- Graphic Design
- Web Development
- Mobile App Development
- Digital Marketing
- Virtual Assistance
- Translation and Language Services
- Video and Audio Editing
- Online Tutoring
- Data Entry and Research
- Voiceover and Audio Services
- Virtual Event Support
- Social Media Management
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- E-commerce Product Listing and Management
- Illustration and Digital Art
- Social Media Marketing
- Transcription Services
- Programming and Software Development
- Proofreading and Editing
- Blog Management and Writing
- Online Course Creation and Instruction
- Presentation Design
- Customer Support and Help Desk Services
- UI/UX Design
These are just a few examples, and freelancing platforms often host a wide variety of other online work opportunities depending on market demands and emerging trends. As a freelancer, it’s essential to highlight your skills, showcase your previous work or experience, and continually update your profile to attract potential clients.
#2 : Virtual assistance and customer support.
Virtual assistance and customer support in Kenya can be profitable side businesses. Remote employment and online firms have increased demand for virtual assistants and customer care personnel. These positions offer flexibility and home-based work.
Virtual assistants assist clients in organizing and managing tasks from a remote location. They manage emails, appointments, research, data entry, and social media profiles. This side gig demands organisation, detail, and communication.
Businesses require help with customer questions, technical challenges, and consumer issues, therefore customer support roles are in great demand. Freelancers can handle consumer complaints by phone, email, or live chat for organisations. This side gig involves good communication, empathy, and problem-solving.
Virtual assistants and customer support professionals can earn extra money by assisting businesses. Freelancers can obtain knowledge in many areas by working with multiple clients. Virtual assistance and customer support can be viable side businesses in Kenya with effort, professionalism, and outstanding customer service.
Examining customer support jobs through chatbots and online platforms
Businesses have automated customer service due to technology and digital communication. Companies aiming to streamline processes and cut expenses have found chatbots useful.
Chatbot-based customer service jobs offer 24/7 availability. Chatbots can help 24/7 without breaks or days off, unlike call centres. This accessibility lets firms serve clients in multiple time zones and respond to enquiries 24/7. If you are planning to enter the customer support field as side hustle, you should definitely learn about chatbots.
#3 Content creation and social media management
Content creators and social media managers are in demand as more businesses and individuals go online.
Content creators can do a variety of tasks such as writing blogs, copywriting websites, editing videos, designing graphics, and more. Quality content that attracts and engages target audiences is paid for by many businesses and individuals.
Businesses also value social media management. Social media managers can establish content calendars, schedule posts, communicate with followers, and track metrics to optimize strategy.
#4 E-commerce and Online Selling
E-commerce platforms have changed the way people buy and sell things and services in Kenya. They are now an important part of the business world there. With the increasing number of internet and smartphone users in the country, more business owners are using e-commerce to expand their customer base and grow their businesses beyond physical stores. Online platforms create a marketplace for sellers to showcase goods/services and customers to easily browse and make purchases.
Jumia, which is often called the Amazon of Africa, is a well-known e-commerce site in Kenya. Jumia was started in 2012 and sells a wide range of goods, such as electronics, clothing, beauty products, home appliances, and groceries. The platform is popular due to its ease of use, reliable delivery service, and secure payment options. Other popular e-commerce platforms in Kenya are Kilimall, carrefour, My Dawa, Jiji etc.
Discussing the potential of selling physical products online
Kenyans can earn a lot of money by selling physical goods online. The internet and mobile technology are driving the growth of e-commerce in the country. Over 50 million people make up a huge market. Businesses can offer actual things online as Kenyans become more comfortable with internet buying. Popular e-commerce platforms and secure payment methods make online store setup easier for enterprises. Online purchasing is also convenient and accessible for urban and rural shoppers. Kenyan internet marketplaces like Jumia and Kilimall show
#5 Affiliate Marketing
As mentioned before, E-commerce business is gaining immense popularity in Kenya. Popular platforms run affiliate program that allow anybody to promote products and earn commissions.
Affiliate marketing is an excellent side business in Kenya and elsewhere. It lets people make passive revenue by promoting products or services on blogs, social media, and YouTube. Kenyan affiliate marketing side hustles. Follow the below given 8 steps to start with affiliate marketing in Kenya.
- Choose your niche: Find a topic or industry you love to promote. You may choose fashion, technology, health and wellbeing, or any promising sector.
- Join affiliate programs: Find reliable affiliate networks that sell niche-related products and services. Amazon, ShareASale, and ClickBank are popular affiliate networks.
- Promote affiliate products on a blog or website : You can also reach your audience on Instagram, Facebook, or YouTube. Create valuable material.
- Create engaging content about your products or services. To aid buyers, write reviews, guides, or comparisons.
- Market your platform: Use several methods to promote your blog or website. SEO, social media, email, and paid advertising are examples.
- Build audience trust by regularly offering valuable and truthful information. Answer questions and handle issues.
- Monitor, analyse, and optimise: Track sales, affiliate marketing, and content performance. Optimise your strategies based on what works and doesn’t.
- Keep up with trends, methods, and affiliate programs: The affiliate marketing industry is always changing. Stay relevant and maximise earnings by changing your strategy.
Affiliate marketing takes time to succeed. Be patient, persistent, and open to change.
I have a detailed guide on Affiliate marketing. Kindly read it to understand this topic:
Dropshipping in Kenya can turn out to be a fantastic side job. A dropshipper connects suppliers and buyers. To get started, you need to open an online store, choose products from vendors, and market them. It is the headache of the supplier to package and ship orders directly to customers.
Dropshipping has many benefits. Firstly, it removes inventory, lowering upfront expenses and eliminating the danger of unsold product. It’s ideal for entrepreneurs with low funds.
Second, dropshipping lets you sell international products without storage or shipment. This expands product options, increasing the likelihood of identifying profitable niches and appealing to a diversified customer base.
Dropshipping can be a successful side business. Entrepreneurs can expand their online store at their own pace by working on it in their leisure time.
To be successful at Dropshipping, always use trustworthy suppliers and brand. This competitive market requires strong marketing and customer service. If anything goes wrong, the end user might blame you. That’s why although you don’t have any direct involvement with product, you shall understand the moral responsibility associated with it.
Dropshipping is a low-risk way to establish a business and make extra money. With the rise of online purchasing and e-commerce platforms, success is possible. Entrepreneurs in Kenya can profit from dropshipping by carefully selecting suppliers, promoting, and delivering exceptional customer service.
#7 Online Tutoring
Many students are seeking online tutors for one-on-one subject help due to the rising demand for quality education and personalised learning. This movement allows instructors, professionals, and university students to share their knowledge online.
Online tutoring is a flexible side gig. Individuals can determine their own pricing and work hours. Online tutoring systems make connecting with students across the country and abroad easier than ever. This broadens the clientele and exposes tutors to different learning styles and cultures.
Kenyans want more teachers who work online. This rising demand is caused by a number of things:
- Technology: Thanks to smartphones, tablets, and cheap internet connections, more Kenyan students can meet with their online teachers. This makes the market for online tutoring bigger and gets teachers more attention.
- Online classes can be taken at any time and from anywhere. Online, tutors and pupils can set up meetings. Students with busy schedules or who live far away and don’t have many choices for tutoring benefit from this.
- Adding to formal education: Online tutoring helps students who need more help in school than they can get from their schools or other organisations. This can help kids who are getting ready for regular tests or who are having trouble with certain subjects.
- Specialised tutoring: Some students need help in classes or subjects that aren’t as common. With online tutoring, you can get help from these experts even if they live far away. This helps students who are at a higher level and who are looking for expert advice.
- It’s convenient and saves money: With online tutoring, you don’t have to drive or pay for gas. Home training is good for both students and parents. Online tutoring is less expensive than traditional education, which is why many people are interested in it.
- COVID-19 pandemic: More Kenyans than ever want to learn online. Due to school closings and people living far away, online education has become important. Students are looking for online teachers who can help them through tough times.
Kenya needs online tutors because of technology, flexibility, the need for extra education, the need for specialised instruction, ease, cost-effectiveness, and the COVID-19 epidemic. So, online tutoring is a popular side job for teachers and people who know a lot about a topic.
Kenyan students can obtain support in all their classes with online tutoring for several subjects. Online education is popular for maths, science (physics, chemistry, and biology), languages (English, Swahili, and other languages), computer science, economics, and preparing for standardised tests like the KCPE and KCSE. Computer, graphic, music, and art tutors are needed.
Kenya has many online tutoring sites. Tutor.com, Chegg, Preply, and Superprof are popular. These services allow tutors to advertise, interact with students, schedule sessions, and be paid. To simplify teaching, they often incorporate built-in video conferencing, texting, and rating systems.
#8 Become a YouTuber, blogger, or social media influencer
There is immense potential for a content creator to become a YouTuber, blogger, or social media influencer in Kenya. These platforms offer opportunities to reach a wide audience and monetize your content.
- YouTube: YouTube has a thriving community in Kenya, with many successful YouTubers gaining popularity and monetizing their channels. By creating engaging video content, you can attract subscribers and generate income through ad revenue, brand partnerships, sponsored content, and merchandise sales.
- Blogging: Blogging is a popular form of content creation that allows you to share your expertise, experiences, and insights with a global audience. With quality content and consistent efforts, you can attract readers, monetize through ads, sponsored posts, affiliate marketing, and even create your own products or services.
- Social Media Influencing: Social media platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, Facebook and TikTok provide opportunities to become an influencer. By building a dedicated following, you can collaborate with brands for sponsored posts, product endorsements, and brand partnerships. This can generate income through brand deals, affiliate marketing, and sponsored content.
However, it is important to note that building a successful presence as a YouTuber, blogger, or social media influencer takes time, effort, and consistency. Here are some key steps to maximize your chances of success:
- Choose Your Niche: Determine your area of expertise or interest and focus your content creation efforts around it. This will help you attract a specific audience who are genuinely interested in your content.
- Create High-Quality Content: Invest in creating high-quality content that adds value to your audience. Make sure your content is unique, original, and engaging to stand out from the crowd.
- Build a Strong Brand: Develop a consistent brand image across all your platforms. This includes creating a unique persona, using a cohesive visual style, and maintaining a consistent tone of voice.
- Engage with Your Audience: Actively engage with your audience by responding to comments, messages, and feedback. Building a loyal community will help you grow your reach and maintain a strong presence.
- Collaborate and Network: Collaborate with other content creators, bloggers, and influencers to expand your reach and tap into new audience segments. Networking within your industry can also lead to valuable partnerships and opportunities.
- Monetize Your Content: Once you have built a strong following and developed your brand, explore monetization strategies such as ad revenue, sponsored content, brand partnerships, affiliate marketing, and merchandise sales.
Remember, success as a YouTuber, blogger, or social media influencer requires dedication, consistency, and adaptability. Stay up to date with industry trends, continuously improve your skills, and be willing to adapt your content strategy to meet the evolving needs and preferences of your audience.
Challenges you Might Face when trying to adopt online side hustle
Here are the rewritten challenges you might face when trying to adopt online side hustle section:
- Unreliable internet connectivity in some parts of Kenya can make it difficult to use online tools and do work. Consider investing in a stable internet link or using a cybercafé if necessary.
- Some websites may not offer popular payment options in Kenya, making it hard to process payments. Find sites that are easy for Kenyans to use and have safe payment options.
- The online job market is highly competitive, with freelancers from all over the world vying for the same opportunities. Showcase your unique abilities, experience, and information to stand out from the crowd.
- Balancing your side job with other responsibilities can be challenging. Set a plan and working hours so you can give your online business enough time and avoid burnout.
Tips for Success:
- Develop in-demand skills and stay up-to-date with market trends.
- Communicate effectively with clients and build relationships with other professionals in your field.
- Network with other freelancers and potential clients to expand your opportunities.
- Be patient and persistent in building your reputation and client base.
- Continuously improve your skills and adapt your content strategy to meet the evolving needs and preferences of your audience.
Remember that a good side job on the Internet takes time. Be patient, change with the market, and keep learning to make money online.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some popular online side hustles?
Some popular online side hustles in Kenya include freelance writing, virtual support, affiliate marketing, online tutoring, and social media management.
What are the benefits of online side hustles?
Online side hustles in Kenya offer flexibility, the ability to work from home, and the opportunity for extra income and passive income.
What skills are required?
You can excel in online side jobs by acquiring skills like communication, organization, time management, marketing, web development, and digital marketing. There are a lot of other areas to explore.
What are some challenges involved?
Challenges of online side hustles in Kenya: unreliable internet, lack of technology access, competition, and inconsistency of work.